I just spent 3 months in Europe (I'm from California) and learned a lot of great lessons on how to enjoy life more. Here's my photo from when I was in Barcelona a month ago:
Anyway, back to my point.
Here are my top 10 ways to bring more happiness into your life:
1. Slow down. I get it, you want to change the world. Let's do that. But learn to pace yourself so you don't burn out.
2. Laugh out loud. Studies have shown that it boosts your immune system, improves your blood flow and elevates your pain threshold and tolerance. Plus, it gives your that warm fuzzy feeling. Who doesn't want that?
3. Enjoy every bite. Seriously, stop inhaling your food. Learn to savor it.
4. Smile more. Because it's better than frowning. Studies show that smiling is contagious (you just made someone else's day, now wasn't that easy?), it lowers stress and anxiety, releases endorphins, makes you more attractive (unless you're the moody / brooding type) and strengthens your immune system.
5. Be open to new experiences. You never know what a simple "hello" or "yes" might lead to. For me, it led to a 1.5 year relationship where I fell in love for the first time and traveled the world (specifically Croatia, Portugal and Spain).
6. Get moving. Exercise will naturally boost your happiness. I just ran 7 miles a day for 40 days and feel better than ever.
7. Create something. When you create something of value, it will give you a sense of worth and happiness. Especially when others tell you about how it's impacted their lives.
8. Spend time with friends and family. Meaningful connections and relationships will make you feel more connected to the world. Admit it, giving a big bear hug to a loved one feels awesome.
9. Help others. Studies show that when you do, it boosts your happiness.
10. Be grateful. Life's short. Life's unpredictable. Let's appreciate every moment we have here.